Carmen Brady sure has been working her way up in the events space. From working on Australian rock fest Under The Southern Stars to The Melbourne Cup and Beyond The Valley, we’re sure no two days are the same for Carmen. We chat to her to find out what goes on at Incognitus and the planning that goes into some of Australia’s hottest events.
What is your current role and how long have you been doing it?
I’m the Executive Assistant to the Director/Partner of Incognitus Pty Ltd and I manage our Head Office in Docklands, Vic. For Under The Southern Stars, I’ve been coordinating the procurement of all suppliers and liaising with One World on the planning.
What does a regular day look like for you?
If I’m in the office on a regular day, I’m generally answering emails and phone calls, managing diaries, booking flights and accommodation for staff, keeping the office running smoothly and working with our intern on communicating with our event suppliers.
If it’s event time, I’ll jump into an operational role, which could include anything from administration or managing the operations office, site marking, bumping in suppliers, putting up signage, helping out at entry gates, working in the Event Control Centre, running errands or bashing in star pickets.
Tell us about your work with Under The Southern Stars (what has that involved, how did you get involved, etc)
Along with one of our enthusiastic and hard-working interns, I’m coordinating the procurement of all of our suppliers – from toilets and fencing to safety and medical. We’re also organising the event kits to be deployed to site in our Incognitus branded vehicles. Our Event Managers will arrive on site fully briefed and ready to bump in for the event.
What experience did you have before beginning at Incognitus?
I was a PA for a major mining company in London for a few years. I returned to Australia in 2014 and went back to Uni to study Business and Event Management for three years. I was working two part-time jobs for eight months until this role came up. I’d held out for a great opportunity and I’m so glad I did. I hounded Incognitus until I got an interview.
What other events did you work on in 2018?
The Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, The Danny Green ‘Stop The Coward’s Punch’ Dinner, The Melbourne Cup Carnival – where I managed a marquee in the Birdcage, and I’m currently at Beyond The Valley Music Festival over New Year’s.
What do you love most about your job?
It’s so varied. I’d say 75% of the time I’m in the office, but the other 25% of the time I’m on the ground in an Ops role. I never know what that’s going to entail so it keeps it interesting and keeps me on my toes.
What is the biggest challenge of your role?
Usually the long hours over the event period and during the build up. But we have a great crew of people who constantly amaze me with their boundless energy. It keeps me motivated and focused.
What advice would you give young people who aspire to work in the events industry?
Be prepared for long hours and plenty of behind the scenes planning. Event time is just a small part of the job.
Volunteer at different events to find out what industry you want to work in and then make it happen. Don’t settle for a job that won’t challenge you, wait for the right opportunity.
Under The Southern Stars is chock full of Aussie music legends – what is your favourite classic Aussie song?
ACDC, Highway to Hell or anything by Powderfinger.
What three acts are most played on your Spotify right now?
Three playlists – Tropical House, Neo-Soul Essentials and Acoustic Hits.
To be featured in an Industry Q&A, or to receive more information about the feature, please contact Ticketmaster’s Marketing Coordinator – Music, Sian Johnson on sian.johnson@Ticketmaster.com.au.
This interview originally appeared on the Ticketmaster Blog.